Saturday, August 11, 2012



Random thoughts at the keyboard:
  • First, I love not having a car.  Really.  I know that those that knew me back home might be surprised, I did like my Avalanche but I mean it.  I’ll explain why as I continue…
  • We walk everywhere.  Well, that is mostly true, we use public transportation but other than that we walk and walk.  I love it.  It is good exercise and you have time to think on the U-Bahn.  For those that are not familiar with local terms, the U-Bahn is the subway system in Vienna.
  • Walking is mostly why I enjoy not having a car.  There is of course not having to buy gas.  That is really cool.
  • I wonder if I’ll enjoy walking in the winter.  Fortunately, much of the time will be in the U-Bahn but it will likely not be as nice.  Just sayin.
  • I haven’t met the entire staff but I really like the people I’ve met so far.  All the way up to the principals and director of the school.  This is a good group that love the Lord and care about the kids.  I am thankful to be working with them.
  • I can’t wait to get started.  I am looking forward to meeting my classes and getting to know the kids.  I enjoy both subject areas I am teaching but mostly, I really want these kids to know Jesus Christ.  To have them see them in me, day by day and to come to know Him or come to be closer to Him themselves.
  • I love it here but simple things are no longer simple.  For instance, go to the store, one you are not familiar with, and try to find batteries.  Try to ask for help, remember, most don’t speak English.  Oddly, I like the challenge but it is kind of like running in soft sand.
  • Vienna is an amazing city and I love it here.  That sounds obvious but not less true because of it.  The history here is stunning and evidence of that history, both good and bad, is everywhere.  Those so inclined really must come and visit.  Very much worth the effort.  
  • Closing thought, I have an amazing wife.  Not to state the obvious, I know most of you who know her will be thinking, what is your point?  That said, imagine taking your house and selling it and most everything in it.  Then go to another country and live in a furnished apartment with donated pots, pans, plates, silverware, other utensils, etc.  You have a refrigerator about 1/3 the size of your old one along with limited space for storing groceries.  There is no Wal-Mart in Vienna but even if there was, how would you get everything home and then where would you put it?  Reference, no car comment above.  Anyway, from all of this she makes a home.  Babe, you rock!
Blessing, Billy

1 comment:

  1. Bill,

    I am glad to find your up dates, and thanks for taking the time to post. It sounds like you are working out your ups and downs over there.

    On the first occasion in which we spoke of your move, one of the things you told me was that you did not think of yourself as a missionary/evangelist. I did not correct you at the time, but I should have.
    I realize that over the last 7 years we have not been close friends outside of the office, but know it or not, you have been a kind of spiritual lighthouse for me at work. You were kind of a daily reminder that although work gets so crazy, we must remember to take the Lord with us each morning. Thanks for being a beacon for me. I will do my best to be more of a light house around the plant in your absence.

    Sometimes that is all it takes to be a great missionary.

    Thank you

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete